Many people associate fresh vegetables with summertime. However, lots of yummy veggies come in season with the cooler weather, including one of my favorites — cabbage.
Cabbage is an underrated vegetable in my opinion. It’s yummy, it’s diverse and it stays good in the refrigerator for about a million years. Not only that, but one head of cabbage can feed a family of five for a week. Well, not really, but let’s just say one head of cabbage goes a long way!
If regular old cabbage is underrated, don’t get me started on it’s purple brethren. Not only is purple cabbage GORGEOUS, but it’s a yummy ingredient that you can use for a soup, a salad, a slaw and more.
Not only is this cabbage soup recipe tasty and fun, but it’s also a no-fuss meal you can throw in the Crockpot and forget about until dinner rolls around. Enjoy!
Purple People Eater Cabbage Soup
- 1 head of purple cabbage
- 1 container of beef or vegetable stock
- 8 ounces of mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 smoked sausage — I prefer to use a nitrate-free turkey sausage, but knock yourself out with whatever type you prefer
- 1/2 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of celery salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Finely shred your purple cabbage.
- Chop up half of a white onion.
- Add your cabbage and onion to your slow cooker along with all of your other ingredients. If there isn’t enough liquid in the pot to cover the mixture, add a cup of water at a time until the food is fully submerged. Feel free to use more broth instead of water for a stronger flavor.
- Cook the soup on low heat for four to six hours or on high heat for two to four hours before serving.
This recipe yields approximately four servings. For more Paleo-style recipes from FitnessHQ, be sure to follow us on Pinterest!